History of Ardrahan Farmhouse Cheese
Ardrahan Farmhouse Cheese was founded in 1983 by Eugene and Mary Burns at their family farm in Kanturk, Co. Cork.
The first outlet for Ardrahan was in France . Eugene set up a contract with a buyer at Rungi's and delivered and delivered this cheese on a monthly basis to Rungi's. From those beginnings the markets developed and Ardrahan is now on sale throughout Ireland, the United Kingdom, Europe and the U.S.A.
Due to the untimely death of Eugene in 2000, the business is now run by Mary and her son Gerald.
However its origins go back much further than that. In 1925 Eugene Burns Senior founded the Ardrahan herd of pedigree Friesians bought from the best herds in the UK.
Since then all the replacement heifers have been bred and born in Ardrahan from the best pedigree sires. From this herd comes the milk, which is produced all year round to make Ardrahan's Farmhouse Cheese.
In light of its history, Ardrahan is Irish food at its best in terms of tractability and wholesomeness.